Logo
  Sunday, June 16, 2019
Sign-In  |  Sign-Up  |  Contact Us  |  Bookmark 

The Israeli prime minister said Friday Israel would continue its military
The Israeli prime minister said Friday Israel would continue its military offensive in Gaza despite the UN Security Council's resolution calling for an immediate and durable Gaza ceasefire.

The resolution, adopted late on Thursday, calls for a full withdrawal of Israeli troops from Gaza and for renewed efforts to achieve a comprehensive peace, and also states that humanitarian aid should be allowed into Gaza.

The Haaretz newspaper quoted Ehud Olmert as saying that Israel "has never agreed to let an external body decide its right to protect the security of its citizens." Noting that Palestinians had fired dozens of rockets at southern Israel on Friday, he said the armed forces would continue defending Israelis.

"The firing of rockets this morning only goes to show that the UN decision is unworkable and will not be adhered to by the murderous Palestinian organizations," Olmert said.

Israeli aircraft struck 50 targets on Friday morning, killing at least 18 Palestinians. A bomb also hit a five-storey building in Beit Lahiya, in northern Gaza, killing seven Palestinian family members.

A Hamas envoy to Lebanon, Osama Hamdan, told the al-Arabiya satellite channel on Friday that the group was not interested in the UN resolution "because it does not meet the demands of the movement," the newspaper said.

The Israeli operation that started on December 27 has so far killed more than 770 people in Gaza, including 257 children and 56 women, while another 3,100 people were wounded, according to Palestinian reports.


Print The Israeli prime minister said Friday Israel would continue its military Bookmark The Israeli prime minister said Friday Israel would continue its military

Related News   
DecJanuary 2009Feb
MoTuWeThFrSaSu
2930311234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930311
2345678